Sedation Dentistry for your comfort
Many people suffer from anxiety when going to the dentist. If you are a patient who avoids the dentist due to this fear, sedation dentistry might be for you. We offer oral conscious sedation for patients undergoing extensive dental procedures as well as nitrous oxide, aka laughing gas. Your oral health is important and should not be neglected due to fear or anxiety. Dr. Mark Harris and his team specialize in sedation dentistry and keeping their patients relaxed and comfortable.
What is Sedation Dentistry
Sedation is used to create a relaxed and calm state through the use of sedatives. When administered by a qualified, certified medical professional, sedation is very safe. Heart rate, blood pressure, oxygen level, breathing and alertness are closely monitored throughout the procedure.
Benefits of Sedation
• Feels like the procedure is only a few minutes long
• Easier to go through with a procedure
• Less likely to skip routine care
• Reduces gag reflex
• Pain free
What to Expect
While under sedation you are completely awake, however the sedatives will make you feel in a dream like state. You will feel no pain or fear. The procedure will feel like it was only a few minutes when it could have taken a few hours.
Oral Conscious Sedation VS Nitrous Oxide (Laughing Gas)
Oral Conscious Sedation
• Can be used for extended dental procedures
• Easily administered by taking a sedative orally.
• More powerful than nitrous oxide.
• You cannot drive yourself home.
• Must wait around for an hour after taking sedative before the procedure can start.
• Uncommon side effects are nausea and vomiting.
Nitrous Oxide (Laughing Gas)
• You can drive yourself home after the procedure
• Works immediately after administered, no waiting around
• Wears off almost immediately with virtually no effects or recovery time
• Cannot be used for extended period of time
• Administered with a mask over nose
• Less powerful than oral sedative