Tooth sensitivity is the sudden discomfort experienced in one or more teeth, usually while eating something hot, cold, or sweet. Sensitivity is very common, it is estimated that half of the population experiences some form of tooth sensitivity.
Why do my teeth hurt??
Here are some common reasons for experiencing sensitivity:
- Wear & Tear – This can be from aggressive bushing and/or grinding of the teeth.
- Decay – Cavities can be especially painful when located near the gums
- Gum Disease – Also known as gingivitis can cause puffy gums and recession, causing the roots of your teeth to be exposed.
- Fractures – Even small breaks in the tooth enamel can cause discomfort.
- Dental Work – Regular maintenance, root planing, fillings & crown placement can cause temporary tooth sensitivity.